14 September, 2009

Vachement Chouette (and other things that defy translation)


'Vachement chouette' is a very prevalent French expression that when translated literally means "cool like a cow" or perhaps "cow cool." I suppose it is the French equivalent of "wicked sweet" or "sick" (as in when a tool says, "Listen to those sick beats" or something like that. I figured it is a fitting title to an entry on the many, many differences I've noticed (continued to notice) since I've been here.

I will break this down into two sections: Things about America I like Better than France and Things about France I like Better than America.


Things about America I like Better than France
1. I truly miss being friendly to strangers. I guess I hadn't ever thought about it previously but it seems ever since I took to walking Belmont for hours on end when I was around 13 or so with Mary and later Savannah and Carina, I adore smiling at people I meet and saying hello. It was one of the aspects I found so appealing about Sewanee - that they insisted that you greet passersby. It makes me feel that I am a part of a community that includes people I may not have ever met, and that there is an understanding between said people that we would help eachother out and love eachother if ever we got to know eachother well enough. Therefor, we treat eachother with civility (even friendliness!) wherever we go. At the grocery store, waiting in line at the movies, passing on the street, etc - Americans are friendly and kind to one another, at least generally speaking.

Here, the attitude seems more to be: "I don't know you, I probably wouldn't like you if I did know you and/or you wouldn't like me if you knew me. We are not part of the same community or group of friends. You are likely the enemy." People go to great lengths to avoid eye contact on the street. If a car stops to let a pedestrian pass, there will be no smile of gratitude passed between them. If you bump into someone, they will not say pardon and they will not respond if you do - in fact, the reason they probably bumped into you is because they were avoiding eye contact to begin with and had no clue you existed.

That being said, once you become acquainted with a French person, they are every bit as personable as Americans. But you have to meet them first.

2. There is a lack of fidelity in French relationships. I know this only second-hand of course, but I came across a French article recently all about what entailed infidelity. It polled young men and asked them, "Is a single kiss an infidelity? If not, what constitutes an infidelity in your relationship?" Responses varied a great deal, but the consensus seemed to be that most physical infidelities weren't too terrible and that everything would likely be forgiven, short of having a long-term dedicated and loving relationship with someone other than one's spouse/partner. Gross.

3. Men heckle women here. Men shout rude things to women, and women are supposed to ignore it entirely and look fierce and disdainful as they pass. It is not that this makes me feel unsafe - Nantes is a very safe town and everywhere I go I am typically in a mid to large group of students - however it is very rude and does make one feel super uncomfortable. I feel that the sisters, mothers and female friends of every young man should yell at them excessively about how stupid it is to do this. Until it stops getting to be so common. Double gross.

4. Here, bathrooms and toilettes are separate. I don't understand this. The toilette that I use is located in the laundry room. The bathroom is just down the hall. It is rather inconvenient.

5. I miss having a yard. A lot.

6. No one picks up after their dogs when they poop in the middle of the side walk, so you have to watch your feet when you walk.

7. In America, we disagree politely with one another.
When someone does something wrong (faire une betise), people correct them politely and sweetly. Here - everyone is more frank. (! And now I'm wondering if that is where they word comes from. The Francs are franc!?)


Things about France I like Better than America

1. I love that families eat together every night. (I love that despite the fact that we're not European, my own dear sweet familys aux Etats-Unis has done this very well my entire life. It is something I will continue when I have a family of my own.)

2. I love that the French eat meals that are rediculously delicious and intricate but in smaller portions. Everything here comes in a smaller size than in America, and it is one of two reasons why I think the French are skinnier. If you ask for a glass of coke, you are definitely not given more than 8 ounces of coke. Same thing with all beverages. It has the marvelous effect of making you really contemplate everything as you're drinking/eating: I only get 5 ounces of coffee - I better really enjoy them.

3. I love that everything is walkable here.

4. I love how affectionate everyone is, especially noting how affectionate men are. At least once a day I see Amaury kiss his little brother Erwan all over his face for no reason in particular. It is very sweet and endearing, and I think it is wonderful. Again I must say though, I have been accustomed to this in my own family for forever. We have always been super affectionate, likely because of Mama. But I am so glad, and it is so refreshing to see an entire nation that embraces that sweetness. I think it is important, and I plan on instegating a lot more of that when I get home.

5. I like to "faire la bise." It is so very bizarr and wonderful to meet someone and have them affectionately kiss your cheek the first time you meet them. I also plan on doing this occasionally in America, and Hanna has agreed so LOOK OUT.

6. Art for art's sake and enjoyment for enjoyment's sake seem to both be more prominant here. I love all of the various festivals, art displays and street performances I have seen. It has to increase one's standard of living to be exposed to beautiful things and experiences wherever one goes. It has taught me already that it is NOT a lowly goal to be a writer or performer. Writing and performing music are both acts of beauty, if practiced correctly, and beauty is very important. I like that the Europeans embrace it - are American's too practical, too utilitarian for such ideals? I hope not.

7. In keeping with this, Europeans work to live - American's live to work. This is something that my mother told me she had observed in Europe and it is sooo true. Europeans take as much time off as they can and I support them whole heartedly. Yesterday Hanna and I went out in a mistaken attempt to buy school supplies only to find that all the stores were closed because it was Sunday. Wonderful! I don't think I will ever mind being inconvenienced so that people can have time off from their jobs. I think we should expect fewer hours from stores and restaurants in America and let people have more vacation time. The fact that the French economy is not suffering as much as the American economy is should speak to complaints that the French system is somehow incorrect. I hope the 40 hour work week of America ends!

8. In France, everything is more expensive, incuding utilities. Bon! I hate that in America we have a mistaken since that electricity is cheap merely because the electric companies are willing to sell it to us cheaply. Electricity takes a great toll on our environment, and the high cost of living here makes everyone live more within their means which equals more in keeping with the rate the earth can sustain us. Along these lines, I like that public transportation and walking are emphasized here.

9. I like that the drinking age is 18.

10. I like that couples are more affectionate publically. I plan on practicing this in two weeks!



BEST OF ALL - I love that in making my own life I can pick and choose. I can be friendly to strangers, pick up after my dog when she poops in the middle of the sidewalk, walk everywhere I go, eat small portions, faire la bise, kiss all of my family members an excessive amount, instigate affection wherever I go, have a yard, have a bathroom that includes a toilette, and more!

Vive l'indépendance! Je suis une citoyenne du monde!

No comments: